Puddle in the Pasture

A view of the Pacific Northwest from the back yard.




Monday, December 15, 2008

Turkeys


Turkeys are a funny bird.
They are not very smart and can't see in the dark at all,
even when I go out a little late I can still see but they go scurrying in the wrong direction.
_
In the pic above these ones have just been let out in the snow for the first time.
They gobbled constantly and ran around a little more crazy than usual, and that was after not wanting to get out of their barn. Snow really freaks some folks out!
_
I have had a lot of fun raising my turkeys,
although it hasn't been all perfect, I've lost a few to the coyotes and other vermin.
_
But I love learning about them and their instincts.

3 comments:

KathyB. said...

The turkeys sound a lot like kids let out on recess from school on a snowy day!

LindaSue said...

Good observations - turkey are definitely not smart birds, but they are interesting to watch. There are a few wild turkeys in our neighborhood and I love seeing their feathers glistening in the sun -- they go crazy for acorns in the fall and come up to drink out of one of our water troughs when everything is dry.

A. Joy said...

I love turkeys too and miss my Darrells. Here's a fun little fact that's sitting right here in front of me on my table - The turkey is one of the most famous birds in North America. In fact, Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey, not the Bald Eagle, the national bird of the United States! If only ol' Ben had won on that one, we might be able to shoot those pesky Bald Eagles that keep swooping down to kill our quail and kittens! Maybe even have roast Eagle for Thanksgiving!